simvisa logo
(312) 298-9766
Start your process

Adjustment of Status Lawyers

Turn your dream of permanent residency into a reality with the help of our adjustment of status lawyers. Join countless others in Chicago and around the nation who have chosen us to lead them on their green card journeys. Reach out for a free initial case review today.

Contact us Today
Chicago Immigration Law Firm with Digital Solutions
Years in
Immigration Law


  • Premium Service

    Hire an Attorney

    With SimVisa, you have the option of receiving full-service legal support - for every aspect of your case - with immigration lawyers from a top-quality immigration law firm.

    • Step 1: Initial Consultation with SimVisa

    • Step 2: SimVisa Fills Out Your Immigration Applications

    • Step 3: SimVisa Prepares Application Package with Evidence

    • Step 4: A SimVisa Attorney Reviews Your Application Package

    • Step 5: SimVisa Submits an Application to USCIS For You

    • Step 6: SImVisa Handles All Communications with USCIS

    • Step 7: SimVisa Monitors Your Case From Start To Finish

    How It Works
    AOS -$3,200
    Get started
    Consular - $2,900
    Get started
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity
  • Quality + Cost Savings


    At SimVisa, we understand the temptation to save on lawyer fees by filing on your own. We have a solution for that. When you work with us, your application will be prepared under the supervision of an experienced immigration attorney. You’ll also receive a one-hour consultation to get answers to any questions you might have.

    • Step 1: SimVisa collected information and documents from you through our online portal

    • Step 2: Simvisa fills out your forms and prepares your supporting documents

    • Step 3: A SimVisa immigration attorney goes over your filled-out application and supporting documents with you (1-hour video consultation)

    • Step 4: Simvisa finalizes your packet with attorney approval

    • Step 5: We deliver your packet to your door

    • Step 6: You file with USCIS

    How It Works
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

No items found.

All You Need to Know

Trusted Chicago Adjustment of Status Attorneys

In Q2 of fiscal year 2023, over 162,000 noncitizens successfully adjusted their status within the United States through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), marking an impressive 31% increase from previous periods. This statistic highlights the growing importance of the adjustment of status (AOS) process for those seeking permanent residency.

At SimVisa, we not only understand the significance of these numbers but also the personal and emotional journeys they represent. As immigrants ourselves, we have firsthand experience with the challenges and aspirations that come with seeking a better life in the United States.

With over 17 years of experience, our team is committed to leveraging our knowledge and empathy to guide you through the AOS process. We’ve helped countless individuals and families realize their dreams of becoming permanent residents, and we’re here to help you do the same.

Partner with SimVisa and let us be your trusted ally on your path to living the American dream.

Who Is Eligible for an Adjustment of Status?

Eligibility for adjustment of status depends on various factors, including your immigration status and the category under which you’re applying. Generally, individuals who are eligible for AOS include:

  • Immediate Relatives: Spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents of U.S. citizens are among the most common petitioners.
  • Family Preference Categories: Certain family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents may qualify for AOS.
  • Employment-Based Immigrants: Individuals with approved employment-based petitions or extraordinary abilities may be eligible.
  • Asylees and Refugees: Asylum-seekers and refugees can apply for AOS after one year of continuous presence in the country.
  • Diversity Visa Lottery Winners: DV lottery winners meeting certain eligibility requirements can have their status adjusted.
  • Special Immigrants: Certain categories like religious workers and Afghan/Iraqi nationals may seek adjustment of status.
  • Crime Victims and Abuse Survivors: U visa or VAWA provisions apply to eligible victims.

Talk to a qualified immigration attorney today to learn more about the requirements for each of these groups.

Not Sure If You’re Eligible for AOS?

Contact SimVisa today to set up a free 15-minute consultation to discuss your case.

Contact Us

Benefits of Adjustment of Status

  • Legal Status: Adjustment of status permits you to pursue legal residency while within the United States.
  • Reside with Family: You may live with immediate family members who are lawful permanent residents or citizens of the U.S.
  • Work Permission: After your application for AOS has been pending for 180 days, you may potentially apply for and receive a work permit.
  • Permission to Travel: You can travel outside of the U.S. without repercussions if you have been granted advanced parole or a travel document.
  • Social Benefits: Lawful permanent resident status can avail various social benefits, such as education, healthcare, and Social Security benefits.
  • Path to Citizenship: For many, AOS is a crucial step on the way toward becoming naturalized citizens.
  • Educational Opportunities: Educational opportunities, like scholarships and in-state tuition, are available for green card holders.
  • Career Advancement: Once you have a green card, opportunities for career advancement will open up.
  • Sponsor Family Members: When you have a green card, you are eligible to sponsor other family members to come to the United States.
  • Stability and Security: With a successful AOS, you will experience stability and security from knowing you are legally in the country and safe from deportation.

Adjustment of Status Process

The adjustment of status process is a convenient way for certain visa applicants to remain in the United States while they are seeking legal permanent resident status.

The following is a brief overview of the steps involved in a typical adjustment of a status case.

  • Review Eligibility: Confirm that you are indeed eligible for adjustment of status, which requires that you have family or employer sponsorship as well as maintain a qualifying immigration status.
  • File the Immigration Petition: The next step involves the filing of an immigrant petition by you or a family member, depending on your eligibility category.
  • Collect Required Documents: Gather the documents that will be necessary for your cases, including IDs, proof of familial relationship or marriage, medical exam results, and employment verification documents.
  • Fill Out and Submit Form I-485: Form I-485 is the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status and must be completed and filed with the appropriate fee with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Attend Your Biometrics Appointment: Once your application has been submitted, you will be required to attend a biometrics appointment, where your fingerprints, signature, and photo will be taken for a background check.
  • Sit for an Interview (If Relevant): Some applicants are required to sit for an interview with the USCIS. If you are called to do so, prepare with an attorney beforehand and bring all documents relevant to your application.
  • Await USCIS Decision: After your application, biometrics, and interview (if applicable) are complete, you will receive a USCIS decision regarding the adjustment of status. An approval means you will receive your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card). If the USCIS needs more info, you will receive a request for evidence (RFE).
  • Appeal or Reapply If Denied: In the event that your application is denied, you will likely have the option to appeal or reapply, depending on the circumstances surrounding your denial.

Always remember that the AOS process can be complex and is unforgiving of mistakes. Mistakes can lead to denial of your application or at least a major delay. Seeking help from an experienced immigration lawyer will help you avoid mistakes on the way to acquiring legal permanent resident status.

How SimVisa Immigration Lawyers Can Help You?

How SimVisa Immigration Lawyers Can Help You?

Are you seeking an adjustment of status and not sure what to do next? Don't panic. It is normal for applicants to be confused; immigration laws are complex. But remember that when you choose SimVisa, we help you at every stage of the process so you get it right the first time, saving you time and money and sparing you disappointment and stress.

Some of the essential tasks we engage in for your case include:

  1. Evaluation of your case and assessment of your eligibility.
  2. Thorough and comprehensive document preparation and review.
  3. Guidance in identifying and gathering evidence to support your case.
  4. Assistance with filling out forms and submitting them correctly.
  5. Representation during and preparation for USCIS interviews.
  6. Handling and responding to requests for evidence (RFE).
  7. Review and appeal your case if it is denied.
  8. Client support and updates on the progress of your case.

Delays and rejections are common among those who try to go through an adjustment of status alone. Why not get it right the first time? Choose SimVisa to help you with the adjustment of status. Although results can never be guaranteed, we have a 99% success rate with our immigration services.

SohYoon Atac
Co-founder of SimVisa with over 17 years of experience in immigration law.


  • Juris Doctorate - Chicago Kent College of Law
  • Bachelor's Degree - The University of Chicago
Start Your Case
simvisa icon opacity

Why Choose Our Chicago Adjustment of Status Lawyers?

When it comes to immigration affairs, results matter. At SimVisa, our adjustment of status attorneys has a success rate of 99% because they are meticulous in the preparation of clients' cases and work diligently for the most optimal outcome.

When SimVisa takes your case, you get an immigration law firm with:

  • Extensive experience in immigration law and serving clients in Chicago.
  • Deep experience and knowledge of AOS issues.
  • A successful track record of managing AOS cases.
  • Legal services and support specifically tailored for each client.
  • Fierce representation and effective communication with USCIS representatives.

Contact SimVisa, and let's get started on getting your permanent resident card today!

Why Choose Simvisa for Family-Based Immigration?
hands to star

We have a high success rate in approvals


We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect


We create tailored solutions for your business & family

What Our Clients Are Saying


Read the reviews below to see what our clients have to say.

FAQs About Adjustment of Status

Our clients have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to some of those most frequently asked.

What are the fees for adjustment of status?

USCIS recently unveiled its first fee adjustment since 2016. This change goes into effect on April 1, 2024, and aims to cover operational costs and ensure timely processing of immigration and naturalization benefit requests.

The current fees for adjustment of status are:

  • Under 14, Filing with the Form I-485 Application of at Least One Parent: $750 (no biometrics fee required).
  • Under 14, Not Filing with the Form I-485 Application of at Least One Parent: $1,140 (no biometrics fee required).
  • Ages 14–78: $1,140 for the application fee plus an $85 biometrics fee, totaling $1,225
  • Age 79 or Older: $1,140 (no biometrics fee required).
  • Filing Form I-485 as a Refugee: No fee.

Starting April 1, 2024, the fee for I-485 AOS applications will rise from $1,140 to $1,440, marking a $300 increase. This is roughly 26% higher than before, as outlined in the USCIS final rule.

Can I apply for an adjustment of status while in the United States on a tourist visa?

No. Individuals who have entered the United States on a tourist visa cannot generally apply for an adjustment of status. AOS is only available to those who have procured an eligible sponsor, such as a family member or an employer.

How long does the adjustment of the status process typically take?

It varies from case to case. Generally, it takes several months but can take up to a year. The USCIS caseload, the specific factors of your case, and other factors play a role in how long it takes.

What documents are required for an adjustment of the status application?

The documents you need for your AOS application depend on the circumstances of your case. However, most applicants, regardless of their situation, need identification documents, employment verification documents, proof of relationship, and the results of their medical examination. Before heading to your appointment, speak with an attorney to ensure you have the documents you need.

Can I work or travel while my adjustment of status application Is pending?

Potentially, yes. After filing Form I-485, you may be eligible to seek permission to work by filing Form I-765 if your application has been pending for over 180 days. If you need to travel outside the country, you can seek permission, which is known as advance parole. To obtain advance parole, you must fill out Form I-131.

What happens if my adjustment of status application is denied?

Upon receiving a denial for adjustment of status, the story may not be over. You may be able to apply for an appeal or reconsideration of your application, depending on the reasons your application was denied. Speaking with an adjustment of a status lawyer is crucial for success.

Is it necessary to attend an interview for an adjustment of status?

For many, an interview for adjustment of status is required for the purpose of verifying an applicant's information and assessing their eligibility. If you must attend an interview, make sure to bring all necessary documents. You may also want to speak with an attorney before going.

Can I include my spouse and children in my adjustment of status application?

Yes. If they meet eligibility requirements, your current spouse and unmarried children below the age of 21 may be listed as derivative beneficiaries on your application for adjustment of status.

Can I apply for an adjustment of status if I have overstayed my visa?

Limited circumstances may allow you to apply for an adjustment of status if you have overstayed your visa. In many cases, however, overstaying can result in consequences that have a negative effect on your eligibility. Speaking with an immigration lawyer about your immigrant status will help you make the most beneficial choices for your case.

Let Us Help You

Get in Touch Today!

Thank you for sending us your note
We'll be in touch as soon as possible. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.