simvisa logo
(312) 298-9766
Start your process

CR-1/IR-1 Spousal Visa (Marriage Green Card)

When you need a marriage green card, you need a CR1/IR-1 visa lawyer you can trust. Simvisa's immigration lawyers have a solid reputation for providing quality citizenship and immigration services and:

  • A high visa-approval success rate
  • Individually tailored visa solutions
  • Compassion and respect
Contact us Today
Chicago Immigration Law Firm with Digital Solutions
Years in
Immigration Law


  • Premium Service

    Hire an Attorney

    With SimVisa, you have the option of receiving full-service legal support - for every aspect of your case - with immigration lawyers from a top-quality immigration law firm.

    • Step 1: Initial Consultation with SimVisa

    • Step 2: SimVisa Fills Out Your Immigration Applications

    • Step 3: SimVisa Prepares Application Package with Evidence

    • Step 4: A SimVisa Attorney Reviews Your Application Package

    • Step 5: SimVisa Submits an Application to USCIS For You

    • Step 6: SImVisa Handles All Communications with USCIS

    • Step 7: SimVisa Monitors Your Case From Start To Finish

    How It Works
    AOS -$3,200
    Get started
    Consular - $2,900
    Get started
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity
  • Quality + Cost Savings


    At SimVisa, we understand the temptation to save on lawyer fees by filing on your own. We have a solution for that. When you work with us, your application will be prepared under the supervision of an experienced immigration attorney. You’ll also receive a one-hour consultation to get answers to any questions you might have.

    • Step 1: SimVisa collected information and documents from you through our online portal

    • Step 2: Simvisa fills out your forms and prepares your supporting documents

    • Step 3: A SimVisa immigration attorney goes over your filled-out application and supporting documents with you (1-hour video consultation)

    • Step 4: Simvisa finalizes your packet with attorney approval

    • Step 5: We deliver your packet to your door

    • Step 6: You file with USCIS

    How It Works
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

No items found.

All You Need to Know

Trusted Chicago IR-1/CR-1 Visa Attorneys

Every IR1 visa and CR1 visa lawyer at Simvisa knows how to navigate every aspect of the visa application process and understands how important the spouse visa is to our clients.

Whether you have been married longer than two years and need an IR1 visa or have just recently tied the knot and need a CR1 visa, Simvisa is ready to help you comply with the application process requirements and get you the immigrant visa you need.

We represent clients in Chicago and nationwide!

What Is an IR-1/CR-1 Visa?

The IR-1/CR-1 visa is an immigrant visa awarded to spouses of U.S. citizens or U.S. green card holders. It allows these individuals to legally enter the U.S. and settle with their spouses.

Also known as a marriage green card, the visa is specifically intended for foreigners who wish to permanently live in the United States and become permanent residents. This visa is not subject to yearly caps because it is an immediate relative visa.

What Is the Difference Between the IR1 and CR1 Visa?

The IR1 and the CR1 visa are for married couples. However, the difference between the two is a matter of time and conditions. For couples who have been married for more than two years, the IR1 visa is the appropriate choice, and the recipient would have zero conditions attached to their visa besides renewing it every 10 years.

On the other hand, if a couple has been married for less than two years, they would need the CR1 visa, which is conditional and expires after two years. After it expires, the couple would then petition to have the conditions removed and apply for an IR1.

Who Is Eligible for CR-1/IR-1 Visas?

CR-1/IR-1 visas are intended for foreign nationals who are legally married to United States citizens or green card holders. To obtain one of these visas, the couple must:

  • Demonstrate that marriage is a bona fide marriage and not one entered into solely to obtain a visa.
  • Demonstrate that the U.S. citizen or green card holder spouse can financially support their spouse.
  • File the application with a joint sponsor if the U.S citizen or green card holder spouse does not have the financial ability to support their spouse on their own

CR-1/IR-1 Visa Process

The CR1 and IR1 visa process is in-depth and requires strict adherence to immigration rules and regulations for anyone desiring to become a legal permanent resident.

The principal steps in the process include:

  • Filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, by the U.S citizen or Green Card Holder Spouse — This step can be accomplished electronically or with a paper application. In general, these petitions are filed within the United States.
  • National Visa Center Processing — Once a petition is approved by the USCIS, the National Visa Center will take over and ask the U.S. citizen or green card holder to submit Form DS-261, which could take up to three weeks to process. Afterward, Form DS-260 must be filed, which is the principal visa application, as well as an affidavit of support, which demonstrates that the U.S.-based spouse can support the applicant financially.
  • Medical Exam and Fingerprinting — The applicant must undergo a medical exam by a qualified medical professional and submit to fingerprinting. Although not a pass-fail test, there are certain conditions that may make a person ineligible for admission as a lawful permanent resident based on health reasons, such as drug abuse or addiction and failure to show proof of required vaccines.
  • Consular Interview — During this critical visa interview, the USCIS will seek to ensure that your marriage is not for the purpose of acquiring immigration benefits. Hence, it is important to prepare by making sure that you and your spouse concur on the fundamental facts of your marriage. You will also need to bring certain documents, including your medical examination results and a valid marriage certificate.

During the process, the USCIS will be working to verify that your marriage is bona fide and legal by using the documents and evidence you submit.

How Can Our Lawyers Help with Your CR-1/IR-1 Spousal Visa?

Working with Simvisa is straightforward and stress-free.

1. Contact Us to Discuss Your Case

We familiarize ourselves with the details of your situation through a short quiz.

2. We Send a Payment Link

If you decide to proceed with our services, we will send you a payment link. Once payment is received, we will schedule a more in-depth discussion of your case.

3. Client Uploads Documents

You will upload a list of requested documents for our review.

4. We Review the Documents and Complete the USCIS Form

We will review your documents for completeness and compliance and use them to complete the USCIS form.

5. We Send the Form to the Client for Signing

Once the document is complete, we will send it back to you for signing.

6. We Send Documents to USCIS and Wait for Approval

Once signed, we send the form directly to the USCIS and wait for approval.

Contact your IR-1 visa lawyers today!

If you are a U.S. citizen, Simvisa will work to help you acquire permanent resident status for your foreign spouse. Contact us today to get started on your case.

SohYoon Atac
Co-founder of SimVisa with over 17 years of experience in immigration law.


  • Juris Doctorate - Chicago Kent College of Law
  • Bachelor's Degree - The University of Chicago
Start Your Case
simvisa icon opacity

Why Choose Simvisa CR-1/IR-1 Spouse Visa Attorneys?

Simvisa CR-1/IR-1 spouse visa attorneys have a proven track record of success with acquiring marriage green cards for numerous clients. When a client walks through our doors, we get to work immediately to help them through the visa application process promptly.

  • Our success rate with marriage green card visas is unparalleled;
  • We deeply care about our clients and afford them the highest levels of respect;
  • We provide individualized care and solutions for each client we represent.
Why Choose Simvisa for Family-Based Immigration?
hands to star

We have a high success rate in approvals


We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect


We create tailored solutions for your business & family

What Our Clients Are Saying


Read the reviews below to see what our clients have to say.

FAQs about CR-1/IR-1 Visa

Our clients have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to some of those most frequently asked.

How long is the IR1 visa valid?

While the CR1 visa is a conditional marriage green card only valid for two years, the IR1 visa is a permanent marriage green card good for ten years. It comes with no conditions, meaning the holder is permitted to work throughout the country.

Can my spouse apply for citizenship?

Yes. Your foreign-born spouse may apply for United States citizenship if they have been legally living in the United States for at least three years. During these entire three years, they must be in possession of a valid spouse visa.

Contact your IR-1 visa lawyers today!

If you are a U.S. citizen or a green card holder, Simvisa will work to help you acquire permanent resident status for your foreign spouse. Contact us today to get started on your case.

Let Us Help You

Contact your IR-1 visa Lawyers today!

If you are a U.S. citizen or a green card holder, Simvisa will work to help you acquire permanent resident status for your foreign spouse. Contact us today to get started on your case.

Thank you for sending us your note
We'll be in touch as soon as possible. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.