simvisa logo
(312) 298-9766
Start your process

K-3 Nonimmigrant Visa

K-3 visas are designed to reunite married couples when one spouse is a U.S. citizen and the other is a foreign national.

If you're seeking legal assistance for your K-3 visa application, the dedicated team at SimVisa is here to help. We understand the many complexities of the immigration process and offer the following benefits:

  • Experienced K-3 visa lawyers
  • Affordable, transparent fees for a smoother process
  • Streamlined reunification in the U.S.

Get started today to put yourself on the fast track to reconnect with your spouse.

Contact us Today
Chicago Immigration Law Firm with Digital Solutions
Years in
Immigration Law


  • Premium Service

    Hire an Attorney

    With SimVisa, you have the option of receiving full-service legal support - for every aspect of your case - with immigration lawyers from a top-quality immigration law firm.

    • Step 1: Initial Consultation with SimVisa

    • Step 2: SimVisa Fills Out Your Immigration Applications

    • Step 3: SimVisa Prepares Application Package with Evidence

    • Step 4: A SimVisa Attorney Reviews Your Application Package

    • Step 5: SimVisa Submits an Application to USCIS For You

    • Step 6: SImVisa Handles All Communications with USCIS

    • Step 7: SimVisa Monitors Your Case From Start To Finish

    How It Works
    AOS -$3,200
    Get started
    Consular - $2,900
    Get started
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity
  • Quality + Cost Savings


    At SimVisa, we understand the temptation to save on lawyer fees by filing on your own. We have a solution for that. When you work with us, your application will be prepared under the supervision of an experienced immigration attorney. You’ll also receive a one-hour consultation to get answers to any questions you might have.

    • Step 1: SimVisa collected information and documents from you through our online portal

    • Step 2: Simvisa fills out your forms and prepares your supporting documents

    • Step 3: A SimVisa immigration attorney goes over your filled-out application and supporting documents with you (1-hour video consultation)

    • Step 4: Simvisa finalizes your packet with attorney approval

    • Step 5: We deliver your packet to your door

    • Step 6: You file with USCIS

    How It Works
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

No items found.

All You Need to Know

Skilled K-3 Visa Attorneys

SimVisa is a trusted immigration law firm dedicated to providing exceptional legal services for individuals and families navigating the U.S. immigration system. Based in Chicago, our firm serves clients nationwide, helping them reunite with their loved ones overseas.

We understand the unique challenges that come with obtaining a K-3 visa. Our experienced immigration attorneys are well-versed in the intricacies of immigration law and know all the ins and outs of K-3 visa applications. We proudly offer clients an accelerated pathway to bring their loved ones to the United States.

What Is a K-3 Visa?

The K-3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa category designed to facilitate the reunion of married couples when one spouse is a U.S. citizen and the other is a foreign national. Its primary purpose is to allow the foreign spouse to enter the United States while awaiting the approval of their immigrant visa application. This can help couples avoid long separations.

Who Is Eligible for a K-3 Visa?

Eligibility for a K-3 visa is primarily based on the marital relationship between the U.S. citizen petitioner and the foreign national spouse. To qualify for a K-3 visa, the following conditions must be met.


The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen, and there must be a valid and legally recognized marriage between them and the foreign spouse. This means common-law marriages and those considered valid under U.S. law may not qualify. The K-3 visa isn’t available to spouses of U.S. green card holders.

Immigrant Visa Petition

The U.S. citizen petitioner must have filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, on behalf of the foreign spouse with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Intent to Live Together

The petitioner and their foreign spouse must have the genuine intention to live together as husband and wife in the United States once the immigrant visa is approved.


The foreign spouse must meet the standard requirements for admissibility into the United States. As such, they can display no factors that would make them inadmissible, such as a criminal history or certain disqualifying health conditions.

Purpose of Visa

The primary purpose of the K-3 visa is to allow the foreign spouse to enter the U.S. temporarily to await the processing of their immigrant visa. Therefore, the couple must intend to live together in the U.S. for the entire duration of this period.

It's important to note that eligibility requirements and procedures may change over time, and there may be additional requirements or considerations depending on your individual circumstances.

How Long Does It Take to Process a K-3 Visa Application?

The average processing time for a K-3 visa is around 19 months, nearly equivalent to the timeline for USCIS to approve a marriage green card. Given this prolonged processing period, many find the K-3 visa option less appealing due to the added complexity and expense, which includes fees for each document filed.

If you're uncertain about the best path for your situation, SimVisa can provide valuable guidance. Complete our simple five-minute questionnaire to get assistance exploring your visa alternatives. Start your journey today!

K-3 Visa Process

The process of obtaining a K-3 visa involves several steps, from filing the initial petitions to the eventual arrival of the foreign spouse in the United States. Here's a general overview.

1. File Form I-130

The process begins with the U.S. citizen petitioner filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with USCIS. This form establishes the qualifying relationship between the U.S. citizen and the foreign spouse.

2. File Form I-129F

Simultaneously or shortly after filing Form I-130, the petitioner should file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, also with USCIS. This petition is used to request K-3 nonimmigrant status for the foreign spouse while the immigrant visa petition (Form I-130) is pending.

3. Await USCIS Processing

USCIS reviews and processes both Form I-130 and Form I-129F. If they approve the latter, the agency will forward the document to the National Visa Center (NVC).

4. Await NVC Processing

Once the NVC receives Form I-129F, they’ll assign a case number and forward it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the foreign spouse's home country.

5. Await Embassy/Consulate Processing

Next, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will contact the foreign spouse with instructions on how to proceed with the K-3 visa application. This may include completing Form DS-160, undergoing a medical examination, and attending an interview.

6. Attend a K-3 Visa Interview

The foreign spouse must submit to an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. During the interview, they’ll need to provide documentation demonstrating the bona fide nature of their marriage.

7. Receive the K-3 Visa

If their interview is successful, the foreign spouse will be issued a K-3 visa, allowing them to travel to the United States.

8. Reunite in the U.S.

Upon arrival in the U.S., the foreign spouse can live and work legally while awaiting the approval of their immigrant visa application.

9. File for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485)

Once within the United States, the foreign spouse can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to obtain lawful permanent resident status (green card).

Ready to Be Together? Contact SimVisa for Reliable K-3 Visa Help!

Your Journey to Reunite With Your Spouse Begins Now. Trust SimVisa to Provide a Seamless K-3 Visa Application Process.

Contact Us

How SimVisa Can Help with K-3 Visas

We understand that immigration laws can be complex and potentially confusing. That's why we focus on offering authoritative insight and ensuring a smooth, successful journey for petitioners and their spouses.

Here's how we can assist you with your K-3 visa:

  • Evaluating Your Case: We’ll assess your eligibility and present a clear summary of your options.
  • Preparing Documents: Our legal professionals will meticulously prepare and review all required documents for accuracy and completeness.
  • Gathering Evidence: We’ll advise you as you collect essential evidence to support your case and demonstrate the bona fide nature of your marriage.
  • Completing Forms: Our team can help you fill out forms correctly and submit them in a timely manner.
  • Handling Requests for Evidence: If necessary, we can help you respond to Requests for Evidence (RFE) to strengthen your case.
  • Managing Appeals: In the event of a denial, we can review your case and file an appeal on your behalf.
  • Offering Continued Support: We’ll keep you informed about your case's progress and provide support every step of the way.

Choosing SimVisa means getting it right the first time, which in turn means saving time, money, and the stress of potential setbacks. While results can never be guaranteed, our team boasts a 98% success rate with our immigration services. Let us help you navigate the K-3 visa process and pave the way for a prompt reunion.

SohYoon Atac
Co-founder of SimVisa with over 17 years of experience in immigration law.


  • Juris Doctorate - Chicago Kent College of Law
  • Bachelor's Degree - The University of Chicago
Start Your Case
simvisa icon opacity

Why Choose SimVisa?

When it comes to visas, results are everything. The capable legal team at SimVisa boasts a remarkable success rate of 98%, demonstrating our commitment to client success. Choose us for:

  • Extensive experience in K-3 visas and immigration law
  • A proven track record with K-3 visa cases
  • Customized legal services
  • Effective representation
  • Transparent communication

Our lawyers are ready to help you take the first steps toward a brighter future by obtaining a K-3 visa for your spouse.

Why Choose Simvisa for Family-Based Immigration?
hands to star

We have a high success rate in approvals


We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect


We create tailored solutions for your business & family

What Our Clients Are Saying


Read the reviews below to see what our clients have to say.


Our clients have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to some of those most frequently asked.

Can my children accompany me on a K-3 visa?

Yes. The unmarried children (under 21) of the foreign spouse applying for the K-3 visa can generally accompany them to the United States. These children can apply for K-4 visas, which allow them to enter and reside in the U.S. with their parents.

Can I work in the United States on a K-3 visa?

K-3 visa holders are eligible to apply for work authorization in the United States by filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. Once approved, they can legally work while awaiting approval of their immigrant visa.

What happens after I enter the United States on a K-3 visa?

After entering the U.S., you can live with your citizen spouse and any accompanying children. Your next step will be to file for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident. While your Form I-485 is pending, you can continue to live and work legally in the United States, and you'll be able to travel outside the country with advance parole.

Let Us Help You

Contact Our K-3 Visa Lawyers Today!

You’ve waited long enough. Contact our experienced K-3 visa lawyers today to get personalized guidance and support as you sponsor your spouse for a nonimmigrant visa.

Thank you for sending us your note
We'll be in touch as soon as possible. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.