big city

Trusted Family Immigration Lawyer

Many immigrants face difficulties navigating the immigration process for themselves and their families as they plan entry into the U.S. Learn how a family immigration attorney in Chicago can reunite or keep immigrating family members together.

Get started
Chicago Immigration Law Firm with Digital Solutions
Years in
Immigration Law


  • Premium Service

    Hire an Attorney

    With SimVisa, you have the option of receiving full-service legal support - for every aspect of your case - with immigration attorneys from a top-quality immigration law firm.

    • Step 1: Initial Consultation with SimVisa

    • Step 2: SimVisa Fills Out Your Immigration Applications

    • Step 3: SimVisa Prepares Application Package with Evidence

    • Step 4: A SimVisa Attorney Reviews Your Application Package

    • Step 5: SimVisa Submits an Application to USCIS For You

    • Step 6: SImVisa Handles All Communications with USCIS

    • Step 7: SimVisa Monitors Your Case From Start To Finish

    How It Works
  • Quality + Cost Savings


    Have you started your application and then gotten confused? Are you worried you might make a mistake or leave out important supporting documents? SimVisa is the solution. We understand you might want to save on lawyer fees and file on your own. You can relax because SimVisa will prepare your application under the supervision of an immigration attorney. You will even get a one hour video conference with an immigration attorney after SimVisa prepares your forms.

    • Step 1: SimVisa collects information and documents from you through our online portal

    • Step 2: SimVisa fills out your forms and prepares your supporting documents

    • Step 3: A SimVisa immigration attorney goes over your filled-out application and supporting documents with you (1-hour video consultation)

    • Step 4: SimVisa finalizes your packet with attorney approval

    • Step 5: SimVisa delivers your packet to your door

    • Step 6: You file with USCIS

    How It Works

Family Immigration Services

Family immigration attorneys have training and experience working with the U.S. immigration process. A Chicago family immigration lawyer knows the procedural and substantive regulations that you must follow for your family members to join you in the U.S.

We provide a full range of family-based immigration services to fit almost every situation, including:

  • Marriage Green Card

    Through Adjustment of Status

    If you have already entered the U.S. legally, you can apply for a green card after marrying a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The adjustment of status (AOS) process does not even require you to leave the country.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • Marriage Green Card

    Through Consular Processing

    If you are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident but currently live abroad, family immigration law allows you to obtain a marriage green card through consular processing at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your country.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • K-1 Fiancé Visa

    Our immigration attorneys help engaged couples procure fiancé visas for foreign partners.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • Parent Visa (IR-5)

    Family-based immigration visas are available to parents of U.S. citizens to visit or reside here while pursuing green cards.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • Parent Visa (AOS)

    If your parents have already entered the U.S. legally, they can gain permanent residence through an adjustment of status.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • Child Visa (CR-2)

    Unmarried children of U.S. citizens can enter the country using a CR-2 visa and remain while seeking green cards.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • Removal of Conditions (I-751)

    SimVisa can help you remove conditions on a conditional green card obtained through marriage when the marriage was less than two years.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • Spousal Visa (CR-1/IR-1)

    SimVisa immigration lawyer in Chicago assists clients with acquiring CR-1 or IR-1 Spousal Visas.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

  • Green Card Renewal

    SimVisa`s immigration attorneys provide assistancewith the renewal of green cards.

    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

Show More Services

All You Need to Know

Chicago Family Immigration Lawyers

SimVisa by Atom Law Group can connect you with Chicago family immigration attorneys committed to reuniting you with loved ones who live abroad.

Our citizenship and immigration services will help you find the right visa under the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act for your situation, whether your foreign family member is a parent or your unmarried children. We have worked successfully to reunite hundreds of U.S. residents and citizens with foreign family members.

The number of family-based immigrant visas is limited each year. A Chicago family immigration attorney with SimVisa has the knowledge and experience to help your family member receive the visa authorization they need to reunite with your family.

What Family Members Can Be Sponsored by U.S. Citizens?

Immediate family members, like spouses, parents, and minor children, get automatic consideration for green cards. Citizens can also petition for green cards for extended members of their families.

The government uses a preference system for relatives based on their relationship to the citizen sponsoring them:

  • First preference (F1) for unmarried sons and daughters age 21 or older;
  • Third preference (F3) for married sons and daughters;
  • Fourth preference (F4) for brothers and sisters if the sponsor is 21 or older;

The second preference (F2) category is for relatives of lawful permanent residents.

What Family Members Can Be Sponsored by a Lawful Permanent Resident?

Sponsors do not need to be U.S. citizens. U.S. immigration law allows green card holders, also called lawful permanent residents (LPRs), to sponsor relatives for family immigration.

Family members of LPRs fall into the second preference category:

  • F2A includes spouses and unmarried children under 21;
  • F2B includes unmarried sons and daughters 21 and older;

Sponsored relatives of citizens and LPRs must meet the same requirements to receive green cards.

submission of documents

Secure Your Family's Immigration Future

Borders should not separate families. Contact SimVisa to begin working on your case with a Chicago family immigration attorney.

Contact us

How Our Chicago Family Immigration Attorneys Can Help

SimVisa from Atom Law Group provides visa applicants with a reliable Chicago family immigration attorney to guide them through the family-based immigrant process. Our legal counsel helps you throughout the process by providing the following:

  • An initial consultation to assess your family's unique situation, determine your family-based immigration goals, and recommend a path for achieving them;
  • Preparation and filing of the visa petitions, including Form I-130, the Petition for Alien Relative;
  • Advising you as you gather and organize supporting documents for the visa application, such as documents establishing identity, relationship, or finances;
  • Acting as your legal counsel with USCIS, embassies and consulates, and other government agencies to ensure that all necessary paperwork gets filed and all deadlines are met;
  • Preparing you and your relative for any required interviews so you understand what might happen and how best to respond;
  • Responding to Requests for Evidence from authorities to keep your case on track;
  • Assessing your case for immigration appeals or waivers in the event of an application denial and working to overcome an adverse decision based on matters related to your relative's suitability, such as a criminal conviction or history of domestic violence;
  • Providing updates about your pending cases from our knowledgeable team of Chicago immigration advisors;
  • Advising you about your options after your family's visas have been granted for gaining lawful permanent resident status to keep your family united;

SimVisa by Atom Law Group has a proven track record of helping clients reach their immigration goals. Whether you are bringing distant family members to the U.S. for visits on non-immigrant visas or working to be brought back together with your unmarried children, SimVisa can help you find solutions to your family-based immigration matters.

Are You in Need of Help from a Trusted Immigration Attorney?

A family-based immigration lawyer can guide you through the system to reunite your family. Contact SimVisa to learn how a family-based green card attorney can help you.

Contact us
simvisa icon opacity

Why Choose SimVisa for Family-Based Immigration?

  • Immigration Law Experience

    Our attorneys have over ten years of experience with processing family-based and marriage-based visa applications.

  • Partnerships

    SimVisa partners with experienced family immigrant advisors to review the applications we process.

  • Communication

    We meet with you to answer all of your questions and gather the information we need.

Why Choose Simvisa for Family-Based Immigration?human with computer
hands to star

We have a high success rate in approvals


We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect


We create tailored solutions for your business & family

What Our Clients Are Saying


Before launching automated SimVisa services, we've been successfully helping people immigrate as a traditional immigration law firm - Atom Law Group. Read the reviews below to see what our clients have to say.

Sinziana Constandache

I absolutely recommend Mrs Atac and her team! They were wonderful in helping me get my green card and my citizenship and made the entire process go as smoothly as possible. They got everything that needed to be done together- so much paperwork and documents, and answered all my questions- no matter how small; they would reply right away and that have given me peace of mind about any concern that I had. The staff is absolutely amazing and I would 10/10 recommend

Read Full Review
Iibrahim Teke

My attorney SohYoon and her assistant Vanessa were really helpful. They walked me through all through all the process step by step. Definitely recommended

Read Full Review
Icen Arsin

Very courteous, professional and competent legal team. They take the time to understand your specific situation. They support and follow through.

Read Full Review
Martin Kerver

Always professional to any of our questions we had. Highly recommended.

Read Full Review
Avnit Bambah

Great firm help me with Citizenship and I got it in timely manner.

Read Full Review
Heejoo Smith

Great immigration service! I got my green card within 4 months!

Read Full Review
Cirkovic Pedja

Agile and swift. All the best PJ

Read Full Review

FAQs About Family-Based Immigration

Our clients have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to some of those most frequently asked.

What happens if my green card renewal application is denied?

If your renewal application is denied, you might lose your permanent resident status. It's crucial to understand the reasons for the denial and consult a legal professional to explore your options for appeal or other remedies.

Can I work with an expired green card while the renewal is pending?

An expired green card doesn't generally invalidate your work authorization. Even so, it's advisable to renew your residency card before its expiration to prevent unwanted complications.

What are the consequences of an expired green card?

Lawful permanent residents enjoy the privileges of living and working in the United States on a permanent basis. Allowing your green card to expire can have several consequences, including loss of legal status, difficulty traveling, work authorization issues, loss of government benefits, re-entry concerns, and holdups in naturalization.

Can I renew my green card if it's already expired?

Yes. However, it's recommended that you do so as soon as possible to avoid legal complications and other potential issues.

How do I prove a bona fide marriage?

Proving the authenticity of your marriage, which is known as demonstrating a bona fide marriage, is crucial in the immigrant visa process. Here's how to approach it:

  1. Documentation: Gather documents that showcase the genuine nature of your relationship. These may include joint leases or mortgage agreements, shared utility bills, joint bank account statements, and any other documents that display commingled finances or shared responsibilities.
  2. Photographs: Compile a variety of photographs taken throughout your relationship. These should reflect moments throughout the journey of your relationship, such as family gatherings, holidays, vacations, and daily life snapshots.
  3. Communication: Present a record of consistent communication, like emails, text messages, phone records, and letters. This record substantiates your ongoing interaction and emotional connection.
  4. Affidavits: Obtain affidavits from family members, friends, and acquaintances who can vouch for the legitimacy of your marriage. These statements should detail their observations of your relationship.
  5. Joint activities: Outline joint activities, hobbies, and interests you share. This demonstrates that your bond extends beyond the legal aspects of marriage.
  6. Social media: Showcase your relationship on social media platforms. Posts, comments, and photos can add an online dimension to your evidence.
  7. Evidence of co-habitation: If you live together, provide documentation of shared living arrangements. This could include lease agreements, utility bills, or correspondence addressed to both spouses.
  8. Special circumstances: If you have children together, provide their birth certificates or adoption records. If you've faced challenges together, like medical emergencies, include documentation of those experiences.
  9. Interview preparation: Be ready for an interview with U.S. citizenship and immigration services. Review your relationship history, as the interviewer may ask questions about your life together.
  10. Legal guidance: Work with an immigration attorney experienced in marriage-based immigration cases. They can help organize your evidence, prepare affidavits, and guide you through the process.

Remember, the goal is to provide a comprehensive picture of your relationship. Strong evidence that spans various aspects of your life together could significantly strengthen your case.

What is the difference between marriages to U.S. citizens and permanent residents?

Marriage to a U.S. citizen vs. a lawful permanent resident brings distinct immigration pathways. When the sponsoring spouse is a green card holder, you can expect the following:

  • Visa number wait: Spouses of green card holders must wait for a visa number to become available;
  • Long wait for green card: Due to limited visa numbers, the process can be significantly longer.

If the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen, the process is generally faster and a bit less complex.

How much does a marriage green card cost?

Immigrating to the U.S. through a marriage visa will cost up to several thousand dollars in filing fees and other expenses. Form I-130, for example, has a filing fee of $535, while Form I-485 is currently $1,140. Other related expenses may include translations of required documents, medical examinations, and travel costs to attend your interview.

How long does it take to get a marriage green card?

The processing time for a marriage green card varies based on factors such as the applicant's country of origin, the specific U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services center handling the case, and the complexity of the application. On average, the process takes anywhere from 12 to 24 months.

Can my spouse work while their marriage green card is being processed?

Yes, if the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen, the foreign spouse can apply for a work permit (Form I-765) concurrently with the green card application. This allows them to legally work in the U.S. while the green card application is pending.

Is an interview required for a marriage green card?

Yes, most applicants are required to attend a green card interview as part of the green card application process. The interview is conducted to verify the authenticity of the marriage and ensure the eligibility of the foreign spouse.

How do I sponsor my spouse for a marriage green card?

As a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to establish the relationship. Once the I-130 is approved, your spouse can proceed with the green card application process.

What happens if the marriage is less than two years old?

If the marriage is less than two years old, the foreign spouse receives a conditional green card valid for two years. Within the 90-day period before the card's expiration, the couple must file jointly to remove the conditions and obtain a permanent green card.

What is a marriage green card?

A marriage-based green card grants lawful residency in the U.S. to a foreign national married to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. The green card allows the holder to live and work permanently in the U.S.

Can I apply for U.S. citizenship after completing the removal of conditions process?

Certainly. Once your conditions are removed and you’ve obtained a permanent green card, you can apply for full U.S. citizenship after meeting the residency requirements.

Can I work or travel while my application is pending?

Generally, yes. You can continue working and traveling with your expired conditional green card and the extension letter you receive from USCIS upon filing Form I-751.

Will I be required to attend an interview for the removal of conditions process?

In some cases, USCIS may schedule an interview to verify the authenticity of your marriage. However, not all applicants are required to attend an interview.

How long does it take for USCIS to process the removal of conditions application?

Processing times vary but tend to take several months. USCIS provides estimates on its website, which can give you, as a green card holder, a better idea of the timeline.

What happens if my application is denied? Can I appeal?

If your application is denied, you may be placed in removal proceedings. You have the right to appeal the decision within 30 days.

Can I apply for removal of conditions if I'm no longer married to the sponsoring spouse?

You can still apply if your marriage ended in divorce or annulment. To do so successfully, though, you'll need to prove that your marriage was entered into in good faith initially.

When do you submit a Form I-751 petition?

If you plan to file Form I-751 with your sponsor or spouse, you must do so within 90 days of your conditional green card's expiration. For example, if you were issued a conditional green card that expires on June 1, 2023, you'd be able to file on April 1, as that's within the 90-day window of the expiration of the two-year green card.

However, if you're submitting an I-751 petition independently, you may file it at any time. It’s best to start the process as soon as possible to ensure that you have all the necessary supporting documents on hand or to give yourself ample time to prove that a good-faith marriage ended for valid reasons.

Can I apply for an adjustment of status if I have overstayed my visa?

Limited circumstances may allow you to apply for an adjustment of status if you have overstayed your visa. In many cases, however, overstaying can result in consequences that have a negative effect on your eligibility. Speaking with an immigration lawyer about your immigrant status will help you make the most beneficial choices for your case.

Can I include my spouse and children in my adjustment of status application?

Yes. If they meet eligibility requirements, your current spouse and unmarried children below the age of 21 may be listed as derivative beneficiaries on your application for adjustment of status.

Is it necessary to attend an interview for an adjustment of status?

For many, an interview for adjustment of status is required for the purpose of verifying an applicant's information and assessing their eligibility. If you must attend an interview, make sure to bring all necessary documents. You may also want to speak with an attorney before going.

What happens if my adjustment of status application is denied?

Upon receiving a denial for adjustment of status, the story may not be over. You may be able to apply for an appeal or reconsideration of your application, depending on the reasons your application was denied. Speaking with an adjustment of a status lawyer is crucial for success.

Can I work or travel while my adjustment of status application Is pending?

Potentially, yes. After filing Form I-485, you may be eligible to seek permission to work by filing Form I-765 if your application has been pending for over 180 days. If you need to travel outside the country, you can seek permission, which is known as advance parole. To obtain advance parole, you must fill out Form I-131.

What documents are required for an adjustment of the status application?

The documents you need for your AOS application depend on the circumstances of your case. However, most applicants, regardless of their situation, need identification documents, employment verification documents, proof of relationship, and the results of their medical examination. Before heading to your appointment, speak with an attorney to ensure you have the documents you need.

How long does the adjustment of the status process typically take?

It varies from case to case. Generally, it takes several months but can take up to a year. The USCIS caseload, the specific factors of your case, and other factors play a role in how long it takes.

Can I apply for an adjustment of status while in the United States on a tourist visa?

No. Individuals who have entered the United States on a tourist visa cannot generally apply for an adjustment of status. AOS is only available to those who have procured an eligible sponsor, such as a family member or an employer.

What is the difference between immediate relatives and preference categories?

Immediate relative-category visas for spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21 are unlimited. What’s more, these relatives have a path to obtaining permanent residency or even U.S. citizenship using the adjustment-of-status process once they enter the country.

Family preference visas are for relatives ineligible for immediate relative visas, such as married children or children over the age of 21, as well as more distant relatives, like brothers or sisters. The U.S. immigration system caps the number of family-based preference visas granted each year. Additionally, the processing times for these types of visas can take longer, depending on various factors.

What is the visa bulletin, and how does it affect family-based immigration?

Under U.S. immigration laws, certain visa categories have caps on the number of visas granted. The Visa Bulletin is published by the U.S. Department of State to inform applicants and their legal advisors about the availability of visas and the expected processing times. The bulletin also shows the priority dates that determine when a visa holder can file for permanent resident status or request consular processing.

How long does the family-based immigration process usually take?

The time to process family-based immigration petitions will vary. A petition with no issues in an unlimited visa category might take several months to process. But when an applicant has issues like a history of domestic violence or other problems, it could take years.

My child is a U.S. citizen. When can they file for me?

U.S. citizens of any age can file petitions for their spouses or children. However, petitioners must be 21 years or older to petition for a visa for a parent or sibling.

Is There a Minimum Age Requirement for the Petitioner?

No. A U.S. citizen or LPR of any age can file a petition. However, the government requires an Affidavit of Support with the petition, and the person who signs this document must be at least 18.

Can I apply for U.S. citizenship after obtaining a green card through the family-based visa system?

Yes. Once you have entered the country legally on a family-based visa, you can apply for permanent residence in the U.S. You must meet certain standards, such as maintaining your immigrant visa status for at least five years and residing in the U.S. for at least two and a half years. But once you meet these requirements, you can apply for an adjustment of status from a visa holder to a permanent U.S. resident.

the person discusses the solution

Contact an Experienced Family Immigration Attorney Today

SimVisa works with teams of Chicago family immigration lawyers who can help your family join you in the U.S. Contact us to discuss the eligibility of you and your family for a family immigration visa.

Thank you for sending us your note
We'll be in touch as soon as possible. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Immigration Resources

Updated: 09.11.22
By SimVisa

How to Become a U.S. Citizen

U.S. citizenship opens up more doors than permanent residence does. Thousands of people each year immigrate to the United States and seek citizenship, a valuable status that benefits not just the new citizens but also their families.