simvisa logo
(312) 298-9766
Start your process

IR2 Visa (Children’s Green Card)

SimVisa’s IR2 visa lawyer guarantee means that we are:

  • 100% focused on processing your IR2 child visa in a timely manner.
  • Experienced in legal procedures surrounding the child visa process.
  • Focused on providing a quick turnaround for IR2 green cards.
  • Dedicated to the unique needs of your family.
  • Committed to honest communication.

Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our immigration lawyers.

Contact us Today
Chicago Immigration Law Firm with Digital Solutions
Years in
Immigration Law


  • Premium Service

    Hire an Attorney

    With SimVisa, you have the option of receiving full-service legal support - for every aspect of your case - with immigration lawyers from a top-quality immigration law firm.

    • Step 1: Initial Consultation with SimVisa

    • Step 2: SimVisa Fills Out Your Immigration Applications

    • Step 3: SimVisa Prepares Application Package with Evidence

    • Step 4: A SimVisa Attorney Reviews Your Application Package

    • Step 5: SimVisa Submits an Application to USCIS For You

    • Step 6: SImVisa Handles All Communications with USCIS

    • Step 7: SimVisa Monitors Your Case From Start To Finish

    How It Works
    AOS -$3,200
    Get started
    Consular - $2,900
    Get started
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity
  • Quality + Cost Savings


    At SimVisa, we understand the temptation to save on lawyer fees by filing on your own. We have a solution for that. When you work with us, your application will be prepared under the supervision of an experienced immigration attorney. You’ll also receive a one-hour consultation to get answers to any questions you might have.

    • Step 1: SimVisa collected information and documents from you through our online portal

    • Step 2: Simvisa fills out your forms and prepares your supporting documents

    • Step 3: A SimVisa immigration attorney goes over your filled-out application and supporting documents with you (1-hour video consultation)

    • Step 4: Simvisa finalizes your packet with attorney approval

    • Step 5: We deliver your packet to your door

    • Step 6: You file with USCIS

    How It Works
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

No items found.

All You Need to Know About IR2 Visas

Navigating the intricacies of family-based immigration can be complex, but the IR2 visa offers a straightforward path for children of U.S. citizens to gain permanent residency. In this article, we'll explore the essential aspects of the IR2 visa, including eligibility criteria, application process, and benefits, ensuring your family's transition is as smooth as possible.

What Is an IR2 Visa?

The IR2 visa is a crucial component of U.S. immigration law, designed exclusively for unmarried minor children of American citizens. This visa allows children under 21 years of age to reside permanently in the United States, offering them a pathway to citizenship. The "IR" stands for "immediate relative," highlighting the visa's purpose to keep families together. 

Upon approval, it grants the child all the benefits of lawful permanent residency, including the right to live, study, and work in the U.S. Understanding the IR2 visa is the first step toward reuniting your family on American soil.

Who Is Eligible for an IR2 Visa?

Both the child applying and their petitioner must meet certain criteria; if one of the stipulations for either is not met, the visa may be denied.

The child applicant must:

  • Be under the age of 21.
  • Not be married.
  • Not be inadmissible according to U.S. immigration laws and regulations.

The petitioner parent must be a U.S. citizen able to financially sponsor the child unless there is a joint sponsor who executes an affidavit of support.

Certain family situations may or may not meet the criteria for specific visas. Children who are eligible for an IR2 or CR2 visa include children whose mothers are petitioning U.S. citizen parents. 

Children whose father is the petitioning parent are eligible if:

  • The parents were married at the time of the child’s birth.
  • The father legitimated the child before the child’s 18th birthday while having the child in his custody.
  • In the case of a child born out of wedlock, the father has a bona fide parent-child relationship.

Other children who are eligible for visas include:

  • Stepchildren if they were under the age of 18 at the time their parents married and the step-relationship with the U.S. citizen parent was created.
  • Adopted children under 16 who have lived with the U.S. citizen parent for at least two years (if a sibling was already adopted by the family, the child may be under 18).
  • Certain orphans or children adopted according to the Hague Convention are eligible for IH3 and IH4 visas.

Children of green card holders are not eligible for an IR2 visa or adjustment of status. While children of permanent residents have other options available to them, these are only available to the children of U.S. citizens. 

If you aren’t sure whether your child or children qualify, call one of our experienced immigration lawyers.

Legal Assistance for Children Under 21 Years Old of U.S. Citizens

Children of U.S. citizens can obtain a green card, ensuring they live permanently in the U.S. They require an IR2 or CR2 visa from abroad or must adjust their status (IR7 or CR7) within the U.S. Our team is dedicated to reuniting families. Reach out to explore the child green card process with our immigration lawyers.

IR2 Visa Application Process

The IR2 visa application process involves several steps designed to efficiently reunite U.S. citizens with their minor children. 

Here’s a breakdown of the key stages:

  • Petition submission: The U.S. citizen parent files Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Petition approval: Once USCIS approves the petition, it is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC).
  • Visa application: After USCIS approval, the child (beneficiary) must complete Form DS-260, the Immigrant Visa Electronic Application.
  • Gather supporting documents: Applicants submit documents to the NVC, including a passport, an affidavit of support, civil documents, and medical examination forms.
  • Interview appointment: After a medical exam, the NVC schedules an interview appointment at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in the country where the child resides.
  • Visa interview: During the interview, a consular officer evaluates the application to determine eligibility for the IR2 visa.
  • Visa approval and issuance: If the visa is approved, the consular office issues the IR2 visa, allowing the child to travel to the United States. 

Upon arrival, the child is admitted as a permanent resident and can reside indefinitely with their U.S. citizen parent.

Understanding each step of the IR2 visa process is vital for a smooth and successful application. It ensures families are well-prepared and can reunite in the United States with minimal delays.

Can a Stepchild Get an IR2 Visa?

Yes, a stepchild can qualify for an IR2 visa under specific conditions. For a stepchild to be eligible, the marriage creating the step-relationship must have occurred before the child turned 18 years old. This ensures that the legal bond between the U.S. citizen stepparent and the child is recognized for immigration purposes.

It's important for the U.S. citizen stepparent to demonstrate a genuine parent-child relationship with the stepchild. This involves not only the legal marriage to the child's biological parent but also active involvement in the child's life. The same application process applies, where the U.S. citizen stepparent must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of the stepchild.

This provision in U.S. immigration law acknowledges the diverse nature of families and provides a pathway for stepchildren to join their stepparents in the United States, promoting family unity and support.

The Difference Between IR2 and CR2 Visas

The primary distinction between IR2 and CR2 visas lies in the conditions attached to the residency status they confer. While IR2 visa recipients become permanent residents immediately upon their admission to the U.S. or adjustment of status, CR2 visa holders start as conditional residents due to the nature of their parent's marriage-based immigration pathway. 

Another significant difference is in the relationship to the U.S. citizen or permanent resident; IR2 is directly related to children of U.S. citizens, whereas CR2 relates to children of foreign nationals who are marrying U.S. citizens.

Understanding these differences is essential for navigating the U.S. immigration system effectively and ensuring that applicants choose the correct pathway for their circumstances.

What Is an Adjustment of Status for an IR2 Visa?

An adjustment of status in the context of an IR2 visa refers to the process through which a child already present in the United States, under a different immigration status, applies to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) without needing to leave the U.S. 

This procedure allows eligible children of U.S. citizens to transition their status while remaining in the country, facilitating a smoother and more straightforward path to reunification with their families.

The adjustment of status process for an IR2 visa involves filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS. This step is only possible after the parent’s Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, has been approved, establishing a qualifying relationship between the U.S. citizen parent and the child.

This process includes submitting required documentation, attending a biometrics appointment, and possibly an interview, culminating in the issuance of a green card if approved. It's a critical pathway for children who seek the permanency and security of residing in the United States with their U.S. citizen parents.

Trusted IR2 Visa Attorneys in Chicago

Navigating the U.S. immigration system is daunting for many. With SimVisa's seasoned immigration lawyers, you gain an ally knowledgeable in U.S. visa and immigration intricacies. We've successfully assisted numerous families in Chicago and nationwide in bringing their minor children to the U.S. or adjusting their status within the country.

How Can Our Lawyers Help with Your IR2/CR2 Visa?

SimVisa is here to simplify the process for individuals seeking an IR-2 visa or an adjustment of status. Our initial steps involve a complimentary introduction to our team followed by a detailed consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. This session aims to clarify your situation, answer queries, and map out the path forward. 

Our meticulous preparation of your petition package is designed to streamline approval, minimizing delays and issues. A dedicated attorney will review your application and address any concerns, providing peace of mind. With your approval, we submit your application, acting as your legal representative to oversee the process and communicate updates.

SimVisa's mission is to demystify immigration, making it accessible and less daunting. Our guidance and personalized support aim to bring you closer to achieving family reunification, guiding you through each step with professionalism and empathy.

Contact Our IR2 Visa Lawyers Today 

At SimVisa, our immigration lawyers can help U.S. citizens complete the IR2 and CR2 visa application process or IR7 and CR6 adjustment of status for their children. We provide efficient legal guidance to help you bring your children to the United States or to have them adjust their status inside the U.S. Contact us today.

Empower Your Child's Future!

Do you need help with an IR2 child visa? Contact our immigration lawyers today to start the child Green Card process.

Contact Us
SohYoon Atac
Co-founder of SimVisa with over 17 years of experience in immigration law.


  • Juris Doctorate - Chicago Kent College of Law
  • Bachelor's Degree - The University of Chicago
Start Your Case
simvisa icon opacity

Why Choose SimVisa IR2 Visa Attorneys? 

At SimVisa, we have the knowledge your family can rely on to guide you through the process of gaining a green card for your child or children.

When you work with SimVisa, you benefit from our thorough knowledge of the immigration laws and regulations and visa process and procedures.

  • We have a very high success rate of visa approvals.
  • You will be treated with dignity, compassion, and respect.

We have a high success rate in approvals

We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect

We create tailored solutions for your business & family

Why Choose Simvisa for Family-Based Immigration?
hands to star

We have a high success rate in approvals


We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect


We create tailored solutions for your business & family

What Our Clients Are Saying


Read the reviews below to see what our clients have to say.

Sinziana Constandache

I absolutely recommend Mrs Atac and her team! They were wonderful in helping me get my green card and my citizenship and made the entire process go as smoothly as possible. They got everything that needed to be done together- so much paperwork and documents, and answered all my questions- no matter how small; they would reply right away and that have given me peace of mind about any concern that I had. The staff is absolutely amazing and I would 10/10 recommend

Read Full Review
Iibrahim Teke

My attorney SohYoon and her assistant Vanessa were really helpful. They walked me through all through all the process step by step. Definitely recommended

Read Full Review
Icen Arsin

Very courteous, professional and competent legal team. They take the time to understand your specific situation. They support and follow through.

Read Full Review
Martin Kerver

Always professional to any of our questions we had. Highly recommended.

Read Full Review
Avnit Bambah

Great firm help me with Citizenship and I got it in timely manner.

Read Full Review
Heejoo Smith

Great immigration service! I got my green card within 4 months!

Read Full Review
Cirkovic Pedja

Agile and swift. All the best PJ

Read Full Review

FAQ About IR2/CR2 Visas

Our clients have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to some of those most frequently asked.

How long does the IR2 visa process take?

Every application has a unique timeline. The process typically takes between 12 to 24 months. Some visas take longer to get issued and really depend on the circumstances of the applicant and their sponsor as well as the current processing times of the various agencies and offices of the U.S. government.

The adjudication process begins as soon as the petition package is filed and continues to the decision. This is different from the preference category visas, which require applicants to wait until a spot opens up before a visa can be issued. There is no cap on the number of applications for an IR2/CR2 visa or IR7/CR7 adjustment of status, making these much faster (by immigration standards) than the sometimes years or over a decade that it takes for other categories.

Can green card holders use the IR2 visa for their children?

No. An IR2/CR2 visa or an IR7/CR7 adjustment of status is only open to U.S. citizens and their unmarried children born in a foreign country. If you have a green card, your children are not eligible for these. However, an immigration attorney can inform you, a green card holder, about legal options for your family members.

Can IR2 visa holders become U.S. citizens?

Yes, children who are in the U.S. and received their green card in the IR2 or IR7 category (and not the CR2 or CR7 categories) may automatically acquire U.S. citizenship after they are admitted to the U.S. if they are under the age of 18 and reside with their U.S. citizen parent who has legal and physical custody of them. 

Child green card holders with the IR2 CR2 IR7 or CR7 designation who do not automatically acquire citizenship as described above become eligible to apply for naturalization, like most other permanent residents, after 5 years of permanent residency.

When is the IR2 visa issued for adoptions?

An IR2 visa may be issued for adopted children if the formal adoption process was completed before the adopted child turned 16 or before the child turned 18 if they qualify for a sibling exception.

Furthermore, the child’s parent or sponsor must have legal custody of the child or children and reside with them for at least two years before beginning the immigrant visa application process.

Let Us Help You

Contact Your IR2 Visa Lawyers Today!

At SimVisa, our immigration lawyers can help U.S. citizens complete the IR2 and CR2 visa application process or IR7 and CR6 adjustment of status for their children. We provide efficient legal guidance to help you bring your children to the United States or to have them adjust status inside the U.S. Contact us today.

Thank you for sending us your note
We'll be in touch as soon as possible. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.