simvisa logo
(312) 298-9766
Start your process

K1 Visa Lawyer

SimVisa is all about simplifying the path to togetherness for couples in love. With over 15 years of immigration law experience, our seasoned K-1 visa lawyers are your key to a smooth and successful K-1 visa application.

If you’re ready to embark on your immigration journey, contact SimVisa today to get the dependable legal assistance you need.

Contact us Today
Chicago Immigration Law Firm with Digital Solutions
Years in
Immigration Law


  • Premium Service

    Hire an Attorney

    With SimVisa, you have the option of receiving full-service legal support - for every aspect of your case - with immigration lawyers from a top-quality immigration law firm.

    • Step 1: Initial Consultation with SimVisa

    • Step 2: SimVisa Fills Out Your Immigration Applications

    • Step 3: SimVisa Prepares Application Package with Evidence

    • Step 4: A SimVisa Attorney Reviews Your Application Package

    • Step 5: SimVisa Submits an Application to USCIS For You

    • Step 6: SImVisa Handles All Communications with USCIS

    • Step 7: SimVisa Monitors Your Case From Start To Finish

    How It Works
    AOS -$3,200
    Get started
    Consular - $2,900
    Get started
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity
  • Quality + Cost Savings


    At SimVisa, we understand the temptation to save on lawyer fees by filing on your own. We have a solution for that. When you work with us, your application will be prepared under the supervision of an experienced immigration attorney. You’ll also receive a one-hour consultation to get answers to any questions you might have.

    • Step 1: SimVisa collected information and documents from you through our online portal

    • Step 2: Simvisa fills out your forms and prepares your supporting documents

    • Step 3: A SimVisa immigration attorney goes over your filled-out application and supporting documents with you (1-hour video consultation)

    • Step 4: Simvisa finalizes your packet with attorney approval

    • Step 5: We deliver your packet to your door

    • Step 6: You file with USCIS

    How It Works
    *Prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

No items found.

Unlock Your Love's Journey to the U.S.

Trusted K-1 Fiancé Visa Attorneys in Chicago

The K-1 visa permits nonresidents who are engaged to be married to a United States citizen to legally enter the U.S. Upon entrance to the country, the recipient can marry and apply for a green card.

K-1 visas have a high rate of denial by nature. As such, it’s essential to correctly complete your application, which means seeking professional assistance.

At SimVisa law offices, we take pride in providing hands-on assistance to K-1 visa applicants. Our dedicated immigration lawyers have over a decade of experience handling fiancé visas. We've helped countless clients in Chicago and across the nation navigate the visa application process successfully.

Don't leave the outcome of your fiance visa application to chance. Partner with SimVisa to receive trustworthy guidance throughout the entire process and ensure that your application is in capable hands.

What Is a K-1 Visa?

The K-1 visa, formally also known as the Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiancé, is a visa category in the United States that allows U.S. citizens to bring their foreign fiancé to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married.

Fiancé visas are designed to facilitate the reunification of engaged couples who plan to marry and reside together in the United States. A K-1 visa requires the couple to marry within 90 days of the foreign partner entering the country.

Need Help with a Fiance Visa? 15 Minutes to Get Started — No Charge!

Get answers, advice, and solutions in just 15 minutes, with no cost or commitment required. Schedule your consultation now.

Contact Us

Who Is Eligible for a K-1 Fiancé Visa?

The K-1 visa is available through United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To obtain it, the partner with U.S. citizenship applies for the K-1 visa on behalf of their fiancé(e). 

The applicant must demonstrate eligibility by offering proof of four key points: 

  1. They are a U.S. citizen.
  2. They have plans to marry within 90 days of their fiancé’s entrance to the U.S.
  3. They can legally marry their fiancé (neither party is currently married).
  4. They have met their fiancé in person at least once in the past two years (some exceptions apply).

Currently, the K-1 visa is only available to the fiancés of U.S. citizens. A legal permanent resident (green card holder) can instead opt for a marriage visa, also known as the CR-1 spousal visa.

However, a marriage visa doesn't allow a foreign fiancé to travel to the U.S. Instead, the couple must first be married before the fiancé enters the country. If you're a green card holder with a fiancé overseas, an immigration lawyer can help you explore your options.

The K-1 Visa Process

Securing a fiancé visa involves carrying out a series of crucial steps, which will see the applying partner submitting documents to USCIS, the National Visa Center, a U.S. Consulate, and USCIS once again. 

Here's a concise breakdown:

  • Initial petition: Begin by submitting Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, and proof of eligibility to USCIS.
  • USCIS approval: Upon approval, your case will advance to the National Visa Center, and you’ll complete the online nonimmigrant visa application.
  • Visa interview: Your foreign fiancé must attend a visa interview, submit necessary documents, and undergo a medical exam.
  • Approval of the K-1 visa: Following approval, your fiancé will be granted a single entry into the U.S.
  • Marriage: You must officially tie the knot within 90 days of your fiancé’s entry.
  • Adjustment of status: After being married, your spouse can file for permanent resident status.

Unmarried couples may lack typical evidence of companionship or cohabitation, such as shared residences or joint finances. Consequently, K-1 visas historically face high denial rates. Failing to put together a strong application can lead to delays or even bar your fiancé’s entry to the U.S.

To safeguard your future, it's highly recommended that you collaborate with a qualified immigration attorney from SimVisa. A fiance visa officially marks the beginning of your life together in the U.S., and proceeding without legal counsel can jeopardize your marriage and finances.

That’s why it’s best to work with a skilled K1 visa lawyer from the outset — it's a safer, smarter choice.

The K-1 Visa Interview: What to Expect

The interview is a pivotal step in the fiance visa process and bringing your fiancé(e) to the U.S. 

Here are some key considerations to be aware of:

  • Documentation: You’ll need to gather all required documents, including Form DS-160, passports, and a birth certificate.
  • Medical exam: Next, you must schedule and undergo a medical examination by an approved physician.
  • Proof of genuine relationship: You’ll be expected to provide evidence of your bona fide relationship, such as photos, correspondence, and travel records.
  • English proficiency: Basic knowledge of English is helpful for effective communication during the interview.
  • Background checks: Both parties should prepare to be subjected to a background check.
  • Cultural and personal questions: Be ready for an in-depth discussion on your relationship, meeting, and wedding plans.
  • Financial support: You must present a clear plan for supporting yourself and your new spouse in the U.S.
  • Attire and demeanor: Make it a point to dress professionally, be respectful, and present yourself confidently.
  • Follow-up steps: After approval, your fiancé(e) must enter the U.S. within six months, and you must marry within 90 days to continue the process.

Your attorney can offer further insight and practical advice regarding each of these points.

How We Can Help with Your Fiancé Visa

A K-1 visa is critically important if you have plans to marry a partner who lives overseas. An experienced immigration lawyer can help you get all the necessary paperwork filed and approved so you can start your new life together as soon as possible.

Some of the tasks we can assist you with include:

  • Holding an initial consultation to evaluate your case for a fiance visa.
  • Preparing and filing a K-1 visa petition.
  • Helping you gather and organize the documents required for the application process.
  • Guiding you in completing Form DS-160 once USCIS approves your petition.
  • Helping you schedule and prepare for the fiancé(e) visa interview.
  • Responding to any requests for evidence (RFEs) from USCIS.
  • Representing you and your foreign national fiancé in appeals in the event of a denial.

Our attorneys understand how important obtaining a fiance visa is to you and your beloved’s future together. We’ll fight hard to address potential issues during the application process so you can proceed with your wedding plans unhindered.

Start Your K-1 Visa Journey with a Free Consultation

Get started with a free 15-minute consultation to explore your legal options and gain valuable insights from a dedicated immigration attorney.

Contact Us
SohYoon Atac
Co-founder of SimVisa with over 17 years of experience in immigration law.


  • Juris Doctorate - Chicago Kent College of Law
  • Bachelor's Degree - The University of Chicago
Start Your Case
simvisa icon opacity

Why Choose SimVisa? 

Our K-1 visa attorneys do much more than just lend a hand with paperwork. We’re devoted to telling the unique story of your relationship, which is a key component of the visa application process. Including such personal details strengthens your case and enhances the likelihood of approval. Here's why you should trust SimVisa to oversee your fiancé visa application.

Streamlined Process

Our attorneys can manage all aspects of your application. We’ll ensure that all required forms are completed quickly and accurately, saving you time and stress.

15+ Years of Experience

With more than a decade of experience in individual practice, our immigration lawyers are authorities in their field. We've handled numerous family visa applications successfully and can do the same for you.

Proven Track Record

Our firm boasts an impressive 98% success rate in family visa approvals. Our clients’ success is our top priority, and we have the record to prove it.

  • We have a high success rate in approvals.
  • We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect.
  • We create tailored solutions for your business & family.
Why Choose Simvisa for Family-Based Immigration?
hands to star

We have a high success rate in approvals


We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect


We create tailored solutions for your business & family

What Our Clients Are Saying


Read the reviews below to see what our clients have to say.

Sinziana Constandache

I absolutely recommend Mrs Atac and her team! They were wonderful in helping me get my green card and my citizenship and made the entire process go as smoothly as possible. They got everything that needed to be done together- so much paperwork and documents, and answered all my questions- no matter how small; they would reply right away and that have given me peace of mind about any concern that I had. The staff is absolutely amazing and I would 10/10 recommend

Read Full Review
Iibrahim Teke

My attorney SohYoon and her assistant Vanessa were really helpful. They walked me through all through all the process step by step. Definitely recommended

Read Full Review
Icen Arsin

Very courteous, professional and competent legal team. They take the time to understand your specific situation. They support and follow through.

Read Full Review
Martin Kerver

Always professional to any of our questions we had. Highly recommended.

Read Full Review
Avnit Bambah

Great firm help me with Citizenship and I got it in timely manner.

Read Full Review
Heejoo Smith

Great immigration service! I got my green card within 4 months!

Read Full Review
Cirkovic Pedja

Agile and swift. All the best PJ

Read Full Review

FAQs About K-1 Nonimmigrant Visas for Fiancé

Our clients have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to some of those most frequently asked.

Can a foreign fiancé work in the United States with a K-1 visa?

Yes, but the engaged fiancé must apply for employment authorization using Form I-765. And since the K-1 visa only lasts 90 days, the employment authorization will also expire 90 days after the date of entry.

Can my children accompany me to the U.S. on a K-1 visa?

No. Only the foreign fiancé can enter the U.S. on a K-1 visa. However, a citizen petitioner and their new spouse can apply for a K-2 visa allowing entry for unmarried dependent children under 21. A K-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa and requires adjustment of legal status after the marriage.

What happens if I don't get married within 90 days on a K-1 visa?

If you fail to get married within the 90-day period, your alien fiancé must leave the U.S. and may have difficulty reentering.

Do I need to prove a genuine relationship for a K-1 immigrant visa?

Yes. The foreign fiancé must prove during the interview that you have a legitimate relationship with the citizen petitioner and hasn’t been fabricated solely for the purposes of immigration.

You’ll need evidence of the relationship, including:

  • Photos of the two of you together.
  • Affidavits from relatives or friends.
  • Letters, emails, and other correspondence.

The foreign fiancé must also prove that any prior marriages have legally ended.

What happens after I enter the United States on a K-1 visa?

After entering the U.S., you must marry within 90 days. Once married, the foreign national spouse can apply for an adjustment of legal status to gain permanent residency, paving the path to full citizenship.

Can I apply for a green card after marrying my U.S. citizen fiancé(e)?

Yes. Though a K-1 visa is considered a non-immigrant visa, it provides the means to obtain a green card by applying for adjustment of status. As a lawful permanent resident, you can legally live and work in the U.S. You can also apply for citizenship after a five-year waiting period has expired.

Let Us Help You

Contact Our Fiancé Visa Lawyers Today

SimVisa’s capable immigration attorneys are the foremost authorities in the fiancé visa application process. We understand how important your plans for the future are. Our job is to make them a reality. ‍Contact us today to schedule a consultation with a K-1 visa lawyer.

Thank you for sending us your note
We'll be in touch as soon as possible. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.