simvisa logo
(312) 298-9766
Start your process

Marriage Green Card Lawyer

SimVisa is home to America’s most trusted Chicago marriage green card attorneys. From reuniting loved ones to interpreting the nuances of immigration law, we're here to help. Contact us today to start your immigration journey.

Contact us Today
Chicago Immigration Law Firm with Digital Solutions
Years in
Immigration Law


  • Premium Service

    Hire an Attorney

    With SimVisa, you have the option of receiving full-service legal support - for every aspect of your case - with immigration lawyers from a top-quality immigration law firm.

    • Step 1: Initial Consultation with SimVisa

    • Step 2: SimVisa Fills Out Your Immigration Applications

    • Step 3: SimVisa Prepares Application Package with Evidence

    • Step 4: A SimVisa Attorney Reviews Your Application Package

    • Step 5: SimVisa Submits an Application to USCIS For You

    • Step 6: SImVisa Handles All Communications with USCIS

    • Step 7: SimVisa Monitors Your Case From Start To Finish

    How It Works
    AOS -$3,200
    Get started
    Consular - $2,900
    Get started
    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity
  • Quality + Cost Savings


    Have you started your application and then gotten confused? Are you worried you might make a mistake or leave out important supporting documents? SimVisa is the solution. We understand you might want to save on lawyer fees and file on your own. You can relax because SimVisa will prepare your application under the supervision of an immigration attorney. You will even get a one hour video conference with an immigration attorney after SimVisa prepares your forms.

    • Step 1: SimVisa collected information and documents from you through our online portal

    • Step 2: Simvisa fills out your forms and prepares your supporting documents

    • Step 3: A SimVisa immigration attorney goes over your filled-out application and supporting documents with you (1-hour video consultation)

    • Step 4: Simvisa finalizes your packet with attorney approval

    • Step 5: We deliver your packet to your door

    • Step 6: You file with USCIS

    How It Works
    *prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

Exploring Marriage-Based Visas

Marriage-based visas are a means to unite families in the United States. There are several visa types within this category, each of which serves a different purpose and caters to specific situations and relationships.

Spousal Visa (CR1 Visa)

Conditional Resident

The CR1 visa, also known as a conditional resident visa, is designed for spouses of U.S. citizens who have been married for less than two years. This visa allows a foreign national spouse to enter the U.S. as a conditional resident for two years, after which they can be granted permanent residency.

*prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

Spousal Visa (IR1 Visa)

Immediate Relative

The immediate relative visa, or IR1 visa, is available to spouses of U.S. citizens who have been married for at least two years. It offers immediate relatives permanent residency status, allowing couples to build their lives together in the U.S.

*prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

The K-1 visa, also called the fiancé(e) visa, is meant for foreign nationals engaged to U.S. citizens. It allows the citizen's partner to enter the U.S. for the purpose of getting married within 90 days of arrival. After the marriage, the foreign spouse can apply for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident.

*prices do not include government fees and may vary based on case complexity

All You Need to Know

Who Qualifies for a Marriage Green Card?

Obtaining a marriage green card is a significant milestone in your journey to building a life together in the U.S. To ensure a smooth application process, it's crucial to understand the eligibility criteria that both spouses must meet.

1. U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Sponsorship

To qualify for a marriage green card, you must have a sponsoring spouse who’s either a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (green card holder). Your spouse's immigration status will determine the specific path you follow.

2. Valid Marriage

The heart of your application lies in demonstrating the authenticity of your marriage. The U.S. government takes great care to prevent fraudulent marriages for immigration purposes. You'll need to provide concrete evidence that your union is genuine and not a mere practical arrangement.

Evidence of a bona fide marriage may include joint financial records, photographs, shared assets, and affidavits from friends and family who can vouch for the legitimacy of your relationship.

3. Medical and Criminal Admissibility

Your spouse must also meet specific admissibility criteria, which will require them to undergo a medical examination and background check to ensure a clean criminal record.

An approved panel physician must perform the medical examination. This exam is intended to verify that the foreign national spouse is free from contagious diseases that may prevent their entry into the U.S.

Immigration authorities also conduct criminal background checks on all applicants. Since certain criminal convictions can result in inadmissibility, it's essential to understand how any past convictions may affect your application.

4. Age Requirements

Both you and your spouse must meet the minimum age requirement to obtain a marriage green card. Typically, both spouses must be at least 18 years old.

Not Sure Where to Start? Get a Free Consultation

Reach out to the experienced marriage visa lawyers at SimVisa to explore your legal options and continue your love story in the U.S.

Contact Us

How to Obtain a Marriage Green Card

Here are the basic steps involved in securing a marriage-based green card, or Permanent Resident Card.

1. Verify Your Eligibility

If you’re a U.S. citizen or a green card holder with a valid, recognized marriage, you may be eligible to sponsor your foreign national spouse for a permanent marriage green card.

2. Submit Form I-130

As the sponsoring spouse, you must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Doing so establishes your relationship and initiates the application process.

3. Await Approval and a Visa Number (If Applicable)

After the approval of Form I-130, the case will be transferred to the National Visa Center for further processing. If you’re a U.S. citizen, your spouse may proceed to the next step; if you’re a lawful permanent resident (LPR), they may need to wait for a visa number to become available due to annual quotas.

4. Apply for Adjustment of Status or Go Through Consular Processing

If your spouse is already in the U.S., they can apply for adjustment of status (Form I-485) to become a lawful permanent resident; if they’re abroad, they must undergo processing at the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate.

5. Schedule a Biometrics Appointment and Visa Interview

Next, your spouse must attend a biometrics appointment and an interview, if one is required. The interview is designed to assess the validity of the marriage and the general authenticity of the relationship.

6. Get Conditional Permanent Residency (If Applicable)

If the marriage is less than two years old when the green card is granted, your spouse will receive a two-year conditional green card. You can remove the conditional status by jointly filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, within 90 days before the card expires.

7. Receive Your Green Card

Once USCIS approves your spouse’s application, they’ll receive a permanent green card granting them lawful permanent resident status.

Navigating this process requires precision, thorough documentation, and a clear understanding of the relevant immigration laws. SimVisa’s marriage visa lawyers can make it much easier. Contact us today to pursue a marriage-based green card with confidence.

Need Help with Your Application? Reach Out to Us Today!

If you’re trying to obtain a marriage-based green card to begin a new chapter in the U.S., our seasoned attorneys can help. We're here to provide assistance, advocacy, and support every step of the way.

Contact Us

How Long Does It Take to Get a Marriage Green Card?

Currently, the average waiting period for a marriage-based green card is approximately 20 months (this projection is based on the most recent available USCIS data). Here’s a helpful table that can give you a better idea of what to expect in your situation:

Spouse’s Status Spouse’s Location Approximate Wait Time
U.S. Citizen In the U.S. 13.5–20.5 months
Abroad 13.5–15 months
U.S. Green Card Holder In the U.S. 13.5–20.5 months
Abroad 33–37 months

Unsure Where to Start? Get Free Case Review!

Contact Our Immigration Lawyers. Let's Build Your Love Story Together!

Contact us
simvisa icon opacity

Why Choose SimVisa for Marriage Immigration?

SimVisa offers marriage immigration services defined by experience, personalization, and a focus on results. Here are some of the ways our attorneys can help you and your spouse start a new life together in the U.S.

Unparalleled Legal Knowledge

Our Chicago-based immigration lawyers work extensively with marriage-based visas. With over 15 years of experience, we understand the intricacies of the process.

Tailored Solutions

Every couple's story is unique. We offer personalized strategies to ensure that your application reflects your individual circumstances.

Comprehensive Support

From documentation to interview preparation, we’ll be there to guide you through every step and simplify the complex process of marriage-based immigration.

Proven Success

Our track record speaks for itself. Countless couples have successfully united with the help of our dedicated legal team.

State-of-the-Art Digital Tools

By embracing the latest technology, we’re able to offer seamless virtual assistance that allows us to meet your immigration needs conveniently and efficiently.

You deserve to work with a law firm that can make your dreams of marriage in the U.S. a reality. Contact us today to take the crucial first step.

Why Choose Simvisa for Family-Based Immigration?
hands to star

We have a high success rate in approvals


We treat you with compassion, dignity & respect


We create tailored solutions for your business & family

What Our Clients Are Saying


Read the reviews below to see what our clients have to say.

Sinziana Constandache

I absolutely recommend Mrs Atac and her team! They were wonderful in helping me get my green card and my citizenship and made the entire process go as smoothly as possible. They got everything that needed to be done together- so much paperwork and documents, and answered all my questions- no matter how small; they would reply right away and that have given me peace of mind about any concern that I had. The staff is absolutely amazing and I would 10/10 recommend

Read Full Review
Iibrahim Teke

My attorney SohYoon and her assistant Vanessa were really helpful. They walked me through all through all the process step by step. Definitely recommended

Read Full Review
Icen Arsin

Very courteous, professional and competent legal team. They take the time to understand your specific situation. They support and follow through.

Read Full Review
Martin Kerver

Always professional to any of our questions we had. Highly recommended.

Read Full Review
Avnit Bambah

Great firm help me with Citizenship and I got it in timely manner.

Read Full Review
Heejoo Smith

Great immigration service! I got my green card within 4 months!

Read Full Review
Cirkovic Pedja

Agile and swift. All the best PJ

Read Full Review

FAQs About Marriage Green Card Applications

Our clients have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to some of those most frequently asked.

What is a marriage visa?

A marriage visa allows a foreign national to enter and reside in the United States based on their marital relationship with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. It applies to both married couples (CR-1 visa) and those intending to marry (K-1 visa).

You may not require a marriage visa if your spouse is already in the U.S. Instead, you can apply for an adjustment of status to become a green card holder. This process will enable you to legally reside and work in the U.S. as a permanent resident.

What is a marriage green card?

A marriage green card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card, is a legal document that grants foreign nationals lawful permanent resident status in the United States based on their marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. A green card allows the foreign spouse to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely.

What happens if the marriage is less than two years old?

If your marriage is less than two years old, the foreign spouse will receive a conditional green card valid for two years. You must file jointly to remove the conditions and obtain a permanent green card within 90 days before the card expires.

How do I sponsor my spouse for a marriage green card?

As a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to establish the relationship. Once the I-130 is approved, your spouse can proceed with the green card application process.

Is an interview required for a marriage green card?

Most applicants are required to attend an interview as part of the green card application process. This interview serves to verify the legitimacy of the marriage and confirm the foreign spouse’s eligibility.

Can my spouse work while their marriage green card is being processed?

Yes. If the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen, the foreign spouse can apply for a work permit (Form I-765) concurrently with their green card application. This allows them to legally work in the U.S. while their green card is pending.

How long does it take to get a marriage green card?

The processing time for a marriage green card varies based on factors like the applicant's country of origin, the specific USCIS center handling the case, and the complexity of the application. Generally, the process takes anywhere from 12 to 30 months or more.

How much does a marriage green card cost?

Immigrating to the U.S. on a marriage visa can cost several thousand dollars in filing fees and other expenses. Form I-130, for example, has a filing fee of $535, while Form I-485 is currently $1,140. Other related expenses could include translations of required documents, medical examinations, and travel costs to attend your interview.

What’s the difference between marriages to U.S. citizens and permanent residents?

Marrying a U.S. citizen and marrying a lawful permanent resident present distinct immigration pathways. When the sponsoring spouse is a green card holder, you can expect the following conditions:

  • Visa number wait time: Spouses of green card holders must wait for a visa number to become available;
  • Longer wait for a green card: Due to limited visa numbers, the process can be significantly longer.

If the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen, the timeline is generally faster, and the process is a bit less complex.

How do I prove a bona fide marriage?

Proving the authenticity of your marriage is a crucial part of being approved for a marriage green card. Here are some key points to consider:

  • Documentation: Gather documents that showcase the genuine nature of your relationship, including joint leases or mortgage agreements, shared utility bills, and joint bank account statements;
  • Photographs: Compile photographs taken throughout your relationship reflecting various intimate moments, such as family gatherings, holidays, vacations, and snapshots of daily life;
  • Communication: Present a record of consistent communication, which may include emails, text messages, phone records, and letters;
  • Affidavits: Obtain affidavits from family members, friends, and acquaintances who can vouch for the legitimacy of your marriage;
  • Joint activities: Outline joint activities, hobbies, and interests you share to demonstrate that your bond extends beyond the legal aspects of marriage;
  • Social media: Showcase your relationship on social media platforms; posts, comments, and photos can add an extra dimension to your evidence;
  • Evidence of cohabitation: If you live together, be prepared to provide documentation of shared living arrangements, including lease agreements, utility bills, or correspondence addressed to both spouses;
  • Special circumstances: If you have children together, offer their birth certificates or adoption records as evidence; if you've faced certain challenges, such as medical emergencies, include documentation of those experiences;
  • Interview preparation: Be ready for an interview with USCIS officials — make sure to review your relationship history, as the interviewer may ask questions about your life together;
  • Legal guidance: Work with an experienced immigration attorney, as they’ll be able to help organize your evidence, prepare affidavits, and guide you through each step.

Remember, the goal is to paint a comprehensive, convincing picture of your relationship. Strong evidence that highlights various aspects of your life together can significantly strengthen your case.

Let Us Help You

Thank you for sending us your note
We'll be in touch as soon as possible. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.